Healthy, natural sunflower oil is produced from oil type sunflower seeds. Sunflower oil is light in taste and appearance and supplies more Vitamin E than any other vegetable oil. It is a combination of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats with low saturated fat levels. Cold press sunflower seed oil is produced with simple pressing of the sunflower seed in specially designed press. Cold press procedure is a very simple extrusion method for squeezing the oil, without application of heat or chemical solvents(i.e without refining of the product) which results in so called pure oils. Sunflower seed oil, cold presses and unrefined has light yellow to rich gold colour, which depends on the properties of the seed. As it is a very subtle and sensitive product, in the process of cold pressing it is important not to exceed 45 C, in order to obtain the true bouquet and retain all vitamins and essential faty acids.
Origin and history
The sunflower is considered native to the United States. Many enthusiasts claim that it was first cultivated by Native Americans over 8,000 years ago. As early as 2,000 BC, sunflowers were being grown using methods that encouraged bigger seeds and a more bountiful crop. The Indians have benn using it, among other as diuretic, for constipation and for the improvement of the eyesight. It had already become a major staple in the diet of Native Americans by the time European explorers first visited America.
Nutrition & health benefits
- Sunflower seed oil contains Vitamin E which helps in neutralizing cancer-causing free radicals, also prevents rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and colon cancer. Acts as a moisturizer that helps the body cells to retain water within them. This property makes sunflower oil useful in various cosmetic products as well.
- Sunflower oil, due to its high levels of oleic acid and low saturated fat, is considered and recommended for cardiovascular benefits.
- It is rich in certain phytochemicals such as choline and phenolic acid, which are beneficial heart. There are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats present in sunflower oil, along with vitamins, which makes it one of the healthiest oil to consume.
- It also helps in keeping the food fresh and healthy for a longer period of time. The oil has a high smoke point, which means it can be used at very high temperature.
- Culinary uses
- As an ingredient for cosmetic products such as lotion, nail polishes, hair shampoo and conditioners;
- Helps improve skin condition after sunburn
- Helps relax tired, puffy eyes
- Makes skin glow and helps keep it youthful
- As a medicine against cardiovascular problems such as hypertension