Apricot kernel oil
The apricot kernel oil is cooking oil with rich biological value, obtained through the process of cold pressing. This way, the apricot seeds preserve their nutritional value, their natural properties and biologically important ingredients. Its color varies from light to darker yellow depending on the variety of apricots and the extraction process. Moreover, its emollient, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, anti-bacterial, anti-septic and antioxidant properties makes it to be one of the best oils. It contains high amounts of Vitamin A, C, E, dietary fiber and potassium. It is mainly composed of linoleic and oleic acid, both of which are unsaturated fats. Thus, the health benefits of this oil makes it able to treat indigestion, constipation, earaches, fevers, skin diseases, cancer and anemia.
Origin and history
Apricots are native to Armenia, although it is believed that may have originated in China. The apricot seeds have high percentage of oil and it is quite possible that the seed has been used to extract oil from ancient times. Apricot kernel oil has been mentioned in Traditional Chinese medicine, as an oil useful for treating tumors and ulcers. Thus, because of its health benefits, the use of this oil spread far and wide with time, to become one of the healthiest oils of 21st century.
Nutrition & health benefits
• It is used to ease asthma symptoms and for tumor prevention. The apricot oil has anti-inflammatory effect useful for treatment of serious skin problems such as eczema, dermatitis and acnes.
• Source of vitamin B17, which is additionally considered as oil for prevention of different tumor types and maintaining the blood pressure.
• It has high content of vitamin A and E, which help in slowing the entire process of ageing and keeps the skin looking young, with no wrinkles and fine lines.
• It has significant amounts of minerals (calcium, phosphorous, manganese, iron and copper) necessary for healthy bone growth
• The high amount of Vitamin C, potassium and dietary fiber contribute to good cardiovascular health